I used to think that squirrels were the dumbest creatures God created. Don't get me wrong, they are masters at getting food of any sort, but all in all, any animal that runs in front of a half-ton object going thirty miles an hour or more almost deserves the death it receives. Hence we have survival of the fittest.
With that being said, though, I also wonder how birds have survived creation of the automobile. Somehow they have surpassed the squirrel in their idiocy. Where a squirrel is limited in his modes of transportation by things such as gravity and lack of hollow bones, wings, and feathers, birds are equipped with all of these. They can fly! And what do they choose to do?!? Fly right in front of car grills! They fly across the street at a rather low altitude--as in the altitude of death.
I was thinking of all of this on Saturday after having miraculously missed both a squirrel and a bird that day, when a bunny also ran in front of my car. We were pulling in to drop off a friend, and into the street ran the bunny. Bunnies at least have the features of being cute, fluffy, and hippity-hoppity. So, they weren't at the top of my list of dumb animals. I finally discovered, however, why it is necessary for them to reproduce so much and so often. They would have died off so much earlier. On our way out of the same subdivision, out comes the same bunny at the same intersection.
Stupid bunny.
4 comments:
"I used to think that squirrels were the dumbest creatures God created."
Ouch. I think you just broke my tiny little squirrel heart.
Not you Squirrel Boy!!! Never you!
That makes me feel better. Though I'm sure you'd change your mind if I started darting in front of cars on a regular basis.
Oh wow, I had similar thoughts a while back in my blog. What the heck? These feathered friends of ours have limitless sky in which to fly, yet they're out there flying 3 feet above the ground across highways. I hate it, 'cause I feel like a monster over the seagull I hit one day. That's better than 4 years ago, and it still bugs me...
Post a Comment