has come and gone! Hallelujah!
I have now successfully moved from a two-bedroom, three-story condo into a one-story, two-bedroom apartment. I had two roommates who had the upstairs bedrooms and I had a rather huge room in the basement. It was quite a lovely place, but one roommate (Songbird) wanted to move closer to her new school and the other (Amazon 1) wanted to stay in the old place. Really, cheaper is better and so I moved in with Songbird. We have a really good friendship and similar thoughts on random things like buying locally, eating random things (like seaweed), and recycling. In other words, we're both hippies. It just worked out really well.
I really like the feel of the new place. I lived in the basement before and so it's really nice to move to a room with real light. The funny thing is that I've had a lot of trouble sleeping at night at the new place. I don't know if I should blame it on the fast-approach of the school year (August 14th is the first day back with kids, otherwise my first day back is Thursday, August 7th).
I was at school last week for a workshop and saw that the stuff in my room hadn't been moved yet to the new one. At that point I was in no condition to talk to custodial or the building manager and so it will just have to wait a bit.
I'm really excited about trying out some of the strategies that I learned this summer. Some of my new favorite things came from work from Jeffrey Wilhelm, Alfred Tatum, and Kelly Gallagher. (Name dropping drives me a bit crazy, but at this point it's easier than listing all of the things I want to try).
So, I'm actually beginning to get excited for school to start, although I'm still really nervous about finding better balance (and better teaching!) this year.
By they way, you'll never guess what one of my grad school books is this semester. Or maybe you will.
4 comments:
Seriously? That book is one of your books for grad school?
Along with Dracula and a whole bunch of literary theory books. But I thought it was fun.
That's awesome.
And congratulations on the new place!
Melanie, stumbled onto your blog when I was visiting Jen's. Love your book reviews.
Post a Comment