Along with other Disney classics such as The Gnome Mobile, The Happiest Millionaire, Summer Magic, and Darby O'Gill, one of my favorite movies was Babes in Toyland.
I have to admit that there were parts that I didn't understand at all (like the song, "I Can't Do the Sum" [for one thing, it helps if you know what the word "sum" and the variable "x" mean]). I grew up wanting to be Mary (of "Tom and Mary"). She was beautiful, she had great fashion sense, she was deeply in love with Tom.
I got to watch this movie with my cute nieces and nephew(s) recently. I still thought the movie was very cute. I didn't get to watch all of it since I wasn't feeling well so I fell asleep, but one song in particular caught my eye. In fact, perhaps it's because of my latest literary theory and criticism class, but one song really made me think (beyond just enjoying the talking, dancing trees of doom). "She's Just a Toy."
Any reactions before I tell you mine?
4 comments:
Wow, I tried to view it from the perspective that they wanted to make a love story of the situation (haven't seen the whole movie) but boy do I see red flags! The only redeeming quality I might see is that he just wants ONE special doll.
I don't know if my favorite part is him looking her up and down appraisingly, the line "you're just a toy,", or the part where he ties her up in ribbon and then pulls her to him.
Ummm, all my childhood happiness is gone. :) It's amazing how differently everything looks and sounds as an adult with real ears.
Are you trying to ruin one of my favorite Christmas movies.
Post a Comment