Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Drop-ins* and the Laws of Physics

Now, I see the need for drop-in observations. I really do. Experiencing them, though, is another bucket of fish entirely. (Not that I'd like to experience a bucket of fish either.)

Yesterday was my first drop-in observation. My evaluator was a great (but tough) teacher and now she is a great (but tough) evaluator and administrator. This can be wonderful, but it is also rather intimidating.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of observations is PS100 (physical science 100 for non-science majors). The science of this may not be exactly correct as it's been a couple of years now, but atoms or light waves or beams come to mind. When you try to observe particles of some kind, the act of observations messes around with things so that you can't see things in their natural habitat anyway. And something about light particle/beam duality something something.

This applies to classroom observations how? Well, a classroom is an environment like so many others with variables which you try to control. There are a lot of variables in a classroom. For instance, freshman vs. Sophomore classes. (This class was made up of freshman.) Also, it depends on which student(s) suddenly have a personal grudge against you (the student whose parent you just called because you caught him cheating). It also depends on what you are teaching that day (To Kill a Mockingbird**), and how you are teaching it (by looking at the Scottsboro Trial as you read the Robinson Trial in the book and doing a KWHL chart).

The variables I can't control are how my administrator looks at my teaching and how my kids react to her. So, wish me luck. I see her in approximately four hours.














A couple of footnotes for my lovely English friends out there.
*Yes, I no longer remember my rules of punctuating hyphenated titles.
**I know that TKAM should be underlined as it is a book title, but the buttons don't seem to be working, and I'm not sure if my HTML coding will either.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You capitalized the blog title correctly, according to the latest edition of Chicago. Also, book titles should only be underlined if you're using a typewriter or writing it out by hand. Or if you're using an outdated style guide like MLA.

Oh, and good luck.

Anonymous said...

I used to have big plans for the day when I would be an actual history/English teacher...I was going to teach TKAM side by side with the Scottsboro trial, too. It was going to be grand.

Only now my work is not to teach, but to economically develop. Life throws some strange curveballs at you sometimes!

Good luck with your drop in!

Th. said...

.

I'm sure you'll be fine.

I'm not so sure how you would deal with fish, however.

erin said...

That's ok. We'll forgive you.