I've noticed recently what I consider to a disturbing trend. In fact, I could say that it's almost to epidemic proportions. What is this terror?
Lack of imagination, creativity, and insight.
I loved my English Teaching program at BYU. I thought that it prepared me (as much as any teaching program really can) for the real world of being in the classroom. We looked at myriad learning activities and how we could try to enhance higher order thinking skills (this is when it's a good time to have the HOTS).
Since I've started teaching high school, though, I've seen that we have trained kids to the point where many of them would rather just regurgitate information rather than work with it. My first major assignment with my freshman was a tic-tac-toe board where they chose three activities to do out of nine. Yes, it took me a while to set-up, but I was so excited to let them try something new and different. They, however, were not thrilled. In fact, several of them begged for a test. Begged! I was so completely frustrated. They wanted a multiple-choice test over comic books, illustrations, song lyrics, etc. Yes they had to manipulate and use the information from their reading, but it was something that they could have fun and sink their teeth into!
On Friday, I gave the students another writing activity. This one involving Where's Waldo and a chance to choose a story. Once again, depending on the hour, they were nervous and edgy or, just apathetic about the activity.
This is just my opinion, but I worry that kids are having the creativity sucked right out of them. This could definitely just be me. Or my school. Or my class. Overall, though, I'm a bit worried.
1 comment:
.
It's all that testing!
Post a Comment