Okay, so this could all be just me, but I thought I'd put this out there. Do others find it rude when someone refuses to choose a checkout line and insteads waits for two lines simultaneously?For instance: Today I ran to Trader Joe's before class to pick up some water and crackers (weak stomach today) and I was trying to get out in a hurry. There were three checkers. One was somewhat isolated at one end of the queue of checkouts and then two right next to each other. The isolated line had two carts full of groceries parked at it, so it was out of the question. The other two checkouts had two people behind them, one with a basket, one with a relatively empty cart, so I tried to go there. When I asked the lady in front of me which line she was in she said, pointing to the man in front of her, "This gentleman's waiting for both lines, and I'm after him."
I don't know which annoyed me more, the fact that they were taking up both lines, acting overly polite about it, or that she was distancing herself from the affront by saying that she was just waiting behind the man who was in line both lines. I also think I was annoyed because I couldn't think of a retort without coming off as the bad guy.
My philosophy on waiting in line is that it's always a gamble. You may not win 100 percent of the time, but you at least have to take a side. Choose. So you picked the slower checker, at least you're not blocking the way for the people behind you.
What's your philosophy?
Image from: http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/
9 comments:
Yeah, it's dumb and selfish to try to stand in two lines at once. Have you noticed that people do that in their cars for the drive-up tellers at the bank, too? They hover in between two lanes, waiting to see which lane has the fastest bank transaction, before making up their mind. COMMIT already! One line or the other!
I have mixed feelings on this one. While I agree that it is somewhat in bad taste to be waiting in both lines at the same time, I am a personal fan of when there is a single line that branches off and feeds several service centers based on whichever one becomes available first. I guess I like to have my cake and eat it too. Despite my general first-come, first-served attitude, I am also a big believer in express lanes for small quantity orders -- but that brings up another Check-out etiquette no-no. What about those nuisance shoppers that go through the express lane (because the line is shorter) even when they clearly have more items than the limit?
I do like it when there's one main line that branches out, as Crutches described, but I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store checkout like that. Just pick one and be done with it. The worst-case scenario is that it costs you a few extra minutes. You'll survive if you pick the wrong line.
Oh, and for the love of all that is good in the world, don't go through the express lane if you've got a full cart. At the Wal-Mart near me, it seems like nobody respects the 20-items-or-less signs.
That's really rude. Ditto what Jon Boy said.
Hmm . . . now you'll hear my check out story from last time I was at, coincidentally,Trader Joes.
First of all, it was a Saturday and packed. My three year old is my shopper: the only one I can take on a multitude of errands and still have my sanity. Still, TJ was about our fourth stop. He had been really good, but the second we walked in the door and saw all those people, he just started running. We only had one item to get and the carts are really tiny and I knew he'd be crowded sitting in one, so I wasn't too strict.
As soon as I saw the lines I began to regret not being stricter, but I was thinking "this will go fast, one item." The woman in front of me had mountains of groceries. I had a single bag of frozen fruit and a very restless three year-old. I was trying desperately to NOT get out of line (more were getting behind me all the time), but keep my little Poopy Pirate close. Now, though restless and trying to continually sneak away and be silly, or lay on the ground and make faces at people, he wasn't screaming or crying or anything.
Still, the lady in front of me had chatted with me for a moment as we'd waited for the guy in front of her, and I don't think she was unaware of the fact I had one item and one wild toddler. In the remark that is going to make every single or childless person on this forum HATE me to the core, I thought she should have let me go ahead.
Trust me, it would have been better for everyone. I know, I know, and I'm really not one of those people who thinks the world should revolve around the mothers, (even when I was working full time last year, I never pawned off my share of the work on people with no young kids at home) but at TJ's last Saturday, it would have been courteous not just to me, but to the other customers he was obviously charming/bothering.
But I really hate when a new check out line opens and the checker doesn't have the guts to be assertive and take the next one waiting in line but instead just waits on the first person in who runs over there. This is way more annoying to me than the waiting in two lines bit.
And Jon-boy, you are assuming that regular Wal-Mart shoppers can count. ;)
Shannon--Definitely seen it at the ATM as well. Glad to know I'm not crazy in thinking it.
Crutches--I have to admit that I'm sometimes okay with it too, but it would truly have to depend on the situation.
Jon Boy--Definitely noticed the Walmart 12 items or less dilemma as well. If someone has a cartload and gets in line do you say anything?
Brozie--Glad to know that someone agrees with us. :)
Science Teacher Mommy--I totally agree with it all. Even though I'm single and I don't have any kids I totally agree with letting someone go in front of me if they have one thing especially if they have kiddos. I think it's just polite.
I don't believe in Ettiquette for the check out. It's every man for themselves! If you have 25 items and can get away with the 20 aisle then go for it. Be Daring! I believe in doing "Checkout Math" before committing to one lane.
First claim a lane, then observe the checker's speed and mouth. If they are chatty then you might want to switch quickly, it can add an average of 2-3 minutes per person (Just cause they want to tell you about their day). Also observe the people infront of you. You always want people that are in a hurry to be in front of you. There are a few other factors, but I feel like I am out of space. Oh well maybe I should write a book. Either way I think I'm more jealous of the man who chose 2 lanes. It takes a lot to just stand there uncommited not letting anyone pass. Maybe I should try it next time.
.
I'll waffle, but when someone comes behind me, I make my choice and stick with it. For heavens' sake.
I do like stores (often see this in self-checkout) (and of course in, say, banks) where there is one line. It's not really practical for grocery as we need to get everything onto the belt, but in principle it is good.
.
Oops---sorry. That was me.
Post a Comment