
So, here's the deal. I ran into the principal on Saturday and he asked me if I would do graduation since the amazing, wonderful, irreplacable person who does it now (and who also does speech and debate--we'll call her Coach) is retiring after this year.
Now, Coach had asked me before and after watching graduation I had told her (perhaps a little too gently), no, but that I'd love to continue to help out.
Here's my problem. Part of me wants to do it. The other part of me things I'm insane.
Why I shouldn't do it:1. English master's--This is tough anyway. I have no idea what I got in my last class. I don't know how this would be with another responsibility going on. My classes would be finished before graduation DAY, but not before everything leading up to it. There's honors evening, ordering caps and gowns, and getting all of the speaker's and music put together, just planning all in all.
2. Speech and debate--This barely overlaps. Just paperwork for Nationals. Plus, it looks like we're getting a new head coach, so it will probably not all fall to me like it might have been.
3. Teaching a new class--Next year I'll be teaching Honors English II. Almost all of the books are different. Most of the activities will be at a different level. There will be more grading since all of the kids will actually proabbly turn in their work--as compared with my English II regular classes.
4. Parent and administrative involvement--This scares me. I'm 26. Sometimes I feel like I'm way too young and way too inexperienced to be talking to the caliber of people I do every day. The person who takes this job will be the person who gets crap about names left off of the program, not getting more than 5 graduation tickets, and what happens if there are issues with the venue, cap and gown rental and fines, etc.
Why I kind of want to:
1. I'm not sure who else will
2. It's an honor to even be asked
3. I want to carry on in my school involvement and this is a way of doing so. I want to keep improving, and this will definitely push me.
4. A bit more money (which is what Principal mentioned, but not really a main selling point)
5. I'd get to take over something after Coach
So, that's where I stand. I told him I'd think about it. I've had a stomach ache all weekend thinking about it. I want to talk to Coach, but this is the week of graduation. Yeah. So. We'll see after Friday what tune I'm singing.
3 comments:
I can't in good conscience recommend to anyone else that they take on more projects when I'm working so hard to lower my stress levels by learning to say no. So all I'll say is this: You'd do a great job if you chose to do it.
I CAN in good conscience tell you to do things that you don't want to do... but that's cause I'm your sister, and I've been doing it my whole life anyway.
*You know you would do great.
*You know you would probably pee your pants preparing for it.
*You know that you will probably need high doses of medication in order to survive
The best part is that you will survive, in fact you will thrive. You are one of the Greats Melanie, and the best part about you is that you don't even see it.
I agree whole heartedly
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment