
This post is in honor of a type of candy that I swear gets harder to find all of the time.
It's funny how a taste of something can take you back in time. Last night while in Iowa I went to the local HyVee* in search of rations for my car trip today. I got a small package of popcorn Jelly Bellies and a package of Bit O Honey. I was looking for staying power and I can only handle a few popcorn Jelly Bellies at a time and Bit O Honey is the poster child for staying power. Both were good choices.
While on my way back home I took out a square of the Bit O Honey and bit down (carefully) and suddenly remembered just a smidge out of time from when I was little. When I was growing up my dad used to travel all of the time with work and if we were lucky, we got to go to the airport to pick him up. If we were really lucky, then we would get to go in and perhaps even get something at one of the gift shops or at a vending machine. One time my dad let me choose between a chocolate candy bar and a Bit O Honey. I'd never tried this candy so I thought I'd do it.
The candy came in a big block that was cut (sort of) into individual pieces that were separated by a sheet of wax paper. I remember getting to pull off a piece and then passing the candy on to one of my sisters.
I'm sure my teeth stuck together and maybe my jaw was a bit sore afterward, but I loved the taste. It was just the coolest thing ever. Me and my sisters and my dad at the airport.** Somehow to a little kid the smallest things can make the biggest difference.
So, while traveling through Iowa I also got to take a trip down memory lane. I swear there's magic in the strangest places.
*One of the seven wonders of the Iowan world, I swear. They have great stuff.
**I'm sure my mom was there since someone had to drive us. I just remember Dad being the one to get us candy.
***picture from http://www.sweetfactory.com/
3 comments:
.
Mmmmm. I haven't had a Bit O Honey in a long, long time.
So we're even --- you've given me something to mull over too.
I don't know why I forgot that you were in Iowa...
I joke with my classmates that once I'm done with my Level 1 classes I will move to Iowa to teach! Because, heaven knows I won't be able to find a teaching job in Calif. because Arnold is going to bankrupt the state before we know it.
I love Bit O Honey. I've only ever seen the little ones, though. Come to think of it, I've only ever seen it thrown at parades.
Post a Comment