Saturday, January 24, 2009

Things I Learned While Talking to My Sophomores

Right now my sophomore English class is reading A Tale of Two Cities. It's a class designed to be *Challenge or *Honors or *Pre-AP or *whatever. Students who elect to take the class are given an elevated or weighted grade and are supposed to be worked to a more challenging level than the normal course.

What my kids focus on a lot, though, is the challenge part (as in whining a bit that it is challenging) and the grade part (as in how do I get the highest grade possible). Yesterday was my first day back with them, and after reading the notes from the substitute and grading answers to their homework I decided to talk to them about life, the universe, and everything. The funny thing is, that I ended up giving myself a pep talk at the same time.

What did I end up talking about:

1. Being uncomfortable can actually mean growth. When weight-lifting, you know that you're ready to move to the next level when you can easily lift your current load. The same can be applied to lots of things.

2. You can do hard things. It's all in how you look at it.

So, in talking to my kids I gave myself a bit of a new perspective. Looks like I'm ready for the next level.

1 comment:

Nonnie said...

Thanks Mel, I think that talk was for me too.