Tuesday, December 13, 2005

DISC Theory

So, because my life was boring today and as I was inspired by the darling Ambrosia, I've decided to spend time explaining my new (relatively, at least to me) personality profile toy. I collect these like other people collect salt and pepper shakers. This one is rather cool and much easier to explain (at least quickly) than enquiring.

My newest one is known as DiSC. I've made a handy graphic that I think works rather well to explain.

There are four different personality types: Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Conscientiousness. This deals with how people act, not how they are motivated and you usually swing towards one or even three, but it would be very unusual to claim to be strong in two types that are diagonal from each other.

Let's start with the graph. The axis going up and down stands for energy-level. The D and I type are high energy, they are the go-getters who actually get things done. The axis or line going across stands for being task or people-oriented. What do people concentrate on?

The D personality is the most dominant, or domineering. They are the militant, strong-willed, action-oriented type. They are driven by tasks and like to get things done. They will bulldoze people if they have to, but they will get things done. They like change. They like things to be better. They want things to be better. Now.

The I personality type is the social butterfly. They are always seeing people, doing things--with people, and talking to people. They are the name-droppers, the optimists. They are inspiring. They are in the spotlight. They are the spotlight.

The S personality is sympathetic. They are the mother. The good-listener. They don't like change. If there is going to be change, they'd like to know beforehand. Like, the year beforehand. They are steady, slow-paced. They are nice. Kind. Diplomatic. They work behind the scenes.

The C personality is conscientious and cold and organized. They are task-oriented. They are very good at organizing. They are the scientists, the math professors. They are the actuaries. They are the editors. They are analytical and correct. They make lists. They keep things in line.

So, here is my very cursory overview of a very cool personality profile.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Thanks for the explanation. I was curious when you mentioned it the other day.

Snow Whiteley said...

So, I probably didn't explain this too well, but I still like it. I can't think of anyone that I can't pinpoint down to one primary type and then, perhaps, to secondary one(s).

Probably TMI overall, but I thought it was cool.