Thursday, December 22, 2005

Under Pressure

No kids today. Today was my post-observation with Charlie Brown. After he had watched me, he gave me my review within two hours. I was very impressed, but a little nervous. It said at the bottom that he wanted to talk to me about three things:
1. My transitions (lesson plan flow)
2. My progress on the curriculum map
3. Exit Slips

Good? Bad? Well, I'd have to wait a week to find out.

I was supposed to bring my lesson plan book, grade book, GLE's, Show-me Standard list, etc. with me. I guess that everyone else must keep a more compact form. I needed a little red wagon to haul all of my stuff up to the eighth grade office. Too bad I didn't have one.










After the carbon monoxide scare in the library today, I knew that Charlie was busy and perhaps wouldn't be able to make our appointment, but I showed up anyway. Now I'm wondering if that was a good choice. Turns out The Fish (assistant-superintendant-person) showed up too. At the same time. Rather than meeting with us separately, Charlie Brown, decided that he may as well mult-task and pulled us in together.

Of course, he asked me if that would be okay. What do you think my answer was? I had two choices. No, it's not okay. I want my very own time, thank you. Or. Yes, of course it's okay if you bring your superior in to see whatever it is you're going to tell me, please don't say you're firing me.

After complimenting me profusely, telling me that I did everything perfectly, and telling The Fish that I was most probably moving to Utah next year, Charlie started showing him my lesson plans. And my worksheets. Everything.

The interrogation began and the discussion of the MAP and general teaching curriculum business.

My favorite quote from the whole experience:

The Fish: So, do you put these in order of delivery?

Me: No, actually, I just put them in how they'll fit in the page protectors.
[several seconds later] But, of course they're divided by units and . . . .

Yes, I did get more eloquent. No, it did not happen right away, but it did happen. He said he'd have to come by later and see more of what I was doing.

Talk about being Under Pressure.

[Queue theme song here. Dnnn dnnn dnnn dn dn dnn dnnn. Dnnn dnnn dnnn dn dn dnn dnnn.]

2 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Scary. I'm sure you've done (and will do) great, though.

Snow Whiteley said...

'Twas very scary. I think overall that it went well, though.

Charlie Brown uses every opportunity he can to try to convince me to stay. I'm thinking of moving back to UT next year and I've let him know it. I don't think this meeting helped, though.