Saturday, April 01, 2006

Suddenly My Life's a Soap Opera

But without the sex and stuff. Don't worry; it still contains plenty of drama.

This week was state testing. Our school takes this very seriously as it pretty much determines a major part of our funding. So, in turn, it also creates plenty of stress.

Monday was the pep assembly for the state test. Yes, our school has a pep assembly to get the kids all pumped about a state test. I talked in front of 1200 kids. I sang in front of 1200 kids. Badly. On purpose. The things you do in the name of School Spirit.

Tuesday began the state test. I got asked to an interview the following day at a high school at the School District of My Dreams. All may now rejoice.

Wednesday I had to give the Heimleich maneuver. On one of my kids. Explanation will follow. I also had the interview at the School District of My Dreams--and hated every second of it. Answering the principal's questions was like talking to a brick wall. A rather tall and blank brick wall. A teacher came in about half-way through the interview to help out. This could have been helpful. Instead, it was like being surrounded by brick walls.

Thursday two of our kids got into a fight. This is actually really sad for me as I've never seen either of them angry or upset. Ever. Which, if you think about it, is rather unusual in seventh graders. Also, I decided that I want to stick around at my school for another two years at least. If the interview from Wednesday taught me anything, it taught me how to really be grateful for what I have in my school, even if it's not money. I have great colleagues who actually have personalities and are willing to share ideas and materials and who are just plain fun. Yes, I may work in a school that can't afford a lot of supplies, but I am greatly rewarded in other ways.

Friday I pulled my hamstring. I don't know how, but I want to cry. One of my kids got suspended for distribution. This, too, makes me want to cry.

All in all, it's been an eventful week. I've been having trouble coming up with ideas on what to write about for this blog. Now, I have plenty of ideas, but very little time to actually write about it.

If I had gotten a fortune cookie this week, I can guess what message/curse it would have contained. May you live in interesting times. Although a certain company says differently.

Your Fortune Is

Man who jump off cliff, jump to conclusion.

No comments: