
For a teacher, I would argue that it is almost easier to just bear it through and be sick and present rather than be absent and have to deal with the consequences.
Note that I said "almost."
When it came to the flu, I really just couldn't mess with it. So, I spent the first hour at school (part of my regular prep time) getting ready for the sub, and then went home. Wondering what my kids were up to. Because I teach freshman on one day and sophomores the next (block scheduling) and this was a freshman day. Don't get me wrong; I really do love my freshman. But they can get into a lot of trouble in an hour and a half. Especially when I'm not there. And even sometimes when I am.
Before I continue, I should probably add that I used to judge an effective teacher by how his or her class acted even when he or she wasn't there. I would like to continue in that tradition, but I'm afraid then that I would have to admit that I'm not really an effective teacher.
The worst part about being absent is the before and after. Before is the over-planning every second so that the kids have enough to do and keep busy, and the after is waiting for the sub report. Really, it's like waiting for a grade on an exam after you've studied really hard but have absolutely no clue how you've done. Or, like waiting for a grade on a group assignment where you turned everything in, but had to trust the other members of your group. Now, imagine that the rest of your group is 29 freshmen and you'll know how I feel.
I will repeat, I love my freshman. It's just that they really are squirrels this year. Not mean and malicious (except for the one who told me I needed a Midol--oh, he SO got ISS--never hint to a girl that she might have PMS or she'll definitely prove it), just clueless.
So, I entered the building with fear and trepidation. Apparently for good reason. My kids were holy terrors who got little to nothing done. Although, at least they didn't turn over desks and furniture like my old friend's sixth-graders once did. They were just loud and abnoxious. I really shouldn't be surprised. But they were. Now comes Miss A as a holy terror. Righteous indignation. Detentions galore. Mwuhahahaha. [Insert more maniacal laughing at will.]
Oh, the best thing, though, was when the para(professional) of one of my kids said, "Those kids need you." So, I guess at least it's good to be missed.
Actually though, I'm not looking forward to laying down the law tomorrow. Also, I have to go to a conference Thursday so I have to experience it all again this week. Cheers. At least maybe I'll get the hang of it. Or they'll learn not to cross me.
1 comment:
.
I hear ya.
Post a Comment