If things come in the magic numbers of threes and sevens, then I'm expecting to have to write up a kid very soon. Friday was the Midol kid. (Write-ups, discipline referrals, D.R.s, all the same thing.) Yesterday was another kid altogether. I had been gone with the stomach flu on Monday and had gotten a bad report from the sub. That much is known.
After a show of righteous indignation, one of my students decided, rather than talking to me later one-on-one, to try talking to me in front of the class. Hello power struggle, goodbye good sense. He had a choice adjective to describe the sub as well as some choice descriptions of what she was doing. So, for the first time all year I kicked a kid out of class. Told him to go straight to his administrator (her office is about ten feet from my room) and then called her to let her know he was on his way.
I let the kids know that really, that some of them would be considered immature for freshman. It still sounds really harsh to me, but I didn't say it in anger, I said it in a serious voice, but quietly. I think they need to know what's expected and why. Still thinking over their actions, my words, and concequences all round. I try not to get up on soapboxes, because sometimes the fall down is larger than expected and it's hard to meet people at eye-level to communicate. Sometimes, though, my feet just can't help but take a step up. And I'm still not sure if that's a positive or a negative choice.
No comments:
Post a Comment