
I must admit that I have a bit of a crush on the bard. I really like his writing. The only thing I have to do now, is convince the kids that it truly is amazing, and funny, and moving.
We start with Romeo and Juliet next week and I'm really excited. I think that this is a great opportunity for us to get into the language and into the viewing of Shakespeare. Shakespeare was a genius. A wordsmith. A writer. The main thing that students forget a lot of times, is that he was also a performer and a business man. If people didn't want to see his plays, he lost money. They had to be funny and moving and amazing. Otherwise they'd hike on over to another theater to see another troupe of actors perform a play written by Christopher Marlowe or some other contemporary playwright.
I'm trying out another method that works really well for another teacher. For each scene, we are starting with a summary of the scene. Then we are seeing the Franco Zefferelli version. Then we read it or listen to the recording. Then we discuss it and watch the Baz Luhrman version. It very cyclical and I think that they'll respond well. They're also working on projects outside of class and writing. So, I'm hoping that this goes well, but really, I'm just excited to get to teach this. I just hope the kids will respond well.
4 comments:
I'm really excited that you're taking this on. I like your approach, and I think the method will reach a good many of them. I think Shakespeare's is an art that each of us needs to experience fully. Good luck and please keep us posted with the results as they occur, ok?
Most definitely.
Also, thanks for posting. It's good to know people are out there.
.
Hey! That's what I did last year! And it worked great! Hope it does for you too.
Weeeell....I'd have to say Shakey P is over-rated. I mean- the only work of his I've been exposed to so far that I enjoyed was MacBeth.
Post a Comment