Saturday, June 17, 2006

Family Reunions

Somehow, every couple of years, someone decides that it would be good for our whole family to get together, drink beers, and barbeque.

I would not be that someone.

Don't get me wrong. I love my family. All of them. I see the value of family. Families are forever, and I have a lot of family to be with forever.

My mother's side of the family was very small. One sister and two nephews. My aunt, her sister, has since passed on and so there have been little chances to reunite.

My father's side of the family was very large. Eight brothers and sisters and twenty-eight nieces and nephews. His family mostly lives around the midwest and southern areas and there often come chances to reunite . . . at least in some form.

We all meet together about every two years or so. My parents are the only ones who are LDS (Mormon) in their families and so we are the only ones who don't drink on our side of the family. But, if I do say so myself, we still know how to have a good time. All in all the evening consisted of barbequeing, eating, drinking of various beverages, talking, laughing, playing.

So was this a good time? Surprisingly, yes. I always feel a bit uncomfortable at family reunions. We stay in touch with three or so of my dad's brothers, but the rest we don't hear from too often and so I am always a bit confused over who exactly some people are. I must say that it's a bit embarassing not to remember the name of your own aunt. You can't really ask. It would be rather sad and not at all acceptable. You just have to hope that you're really talking to Aunt Mary and not Aunt Margie . . . and not address her by name until someone else has.

I'm not really a people person, so being around that many people is a bit interesting, but all of that aside, I have to say that it was great to all the bits of my family. Also, the food was some of the best ever.

3 comments:

N.F. said...

Oh! This brought up so many memories for me! My dad is from Idaho and was the youngest of 7. Since we lived in CA we rarely got to go to the family reunions--and each summer I HOPED BEYOND HOPE that we'd get to go to Idaho for the reunions. Unfortunately, those trips were few and far between. And, now, with most of uncles passed on, it's just not the same. I sure miss those times.

ambrosia ananas said...

Extended family is such a strange thing. I get on much better with the cousins who didn't live in the same town as I did growing up.

Snow Whiteley said...

I get along really well with the cousins that we have Christmas and Thanksgiving with. For some reason, though, I never seem to be able to get past the superficial questions/conversation. "How are things? How is work?," etc.

But still, it's good to see everyone.