Monday, June 26, 2006

Two Thoughts on Today

Thought the First: Why do kids pull fire alarms? Well, I can think of several reasons. It could be that they just want out of class. It could just be that they want attention from peers. It could just be that they want that power and control.

Thought the Second: Sometimes I truly feel that my judgments are being disregarded by administration. I truly love our summer school principal this year. He was my favorite administrator during the school year. Now, though, I feel like whenever I send kids down to the office, they come right back.

From the previous statement you may think that I send kids down a lot. Not true. I try to deal with my own discipline. If I send a kid down, it is because I have tried everything else, or it is a major offense. I have sent two kids down. One (girl) for kicking a boy (you can guess where). One boy for putting a marker down a girl's pants.

Now, on the first day of school, Mr. Principal told all of the kids, that if they were sent down, they would be going home. No if ands or buts. Yet, the first student got two days out. The second kid got three days out. Usually, those kids would be gone for the rest of summer school. I'm glad that there was some consequence, but during summer school, usually any offense is automatically a ticket out of summer school. This time, though, that's just not how it's working.

3 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Thoughts:

1-I don't agree with the policy that every kid who is sent to the office should be expelled from summer school.

2-However, the admins should not tell kids that being expelled is the punishment and then not expell anyone and not change the official policy. Disciplinary inconsistency is a bad plan.

Snow Whiteley said...

Ambrosia--If it were a real remediation thing I would agree with you.

The main thing is that most kids don't have to be there. In certain ways, it's more of a privilege. In fact, if the kids don't miss any days, they get $100.00, and then for each day they miss they lose another 25 bucks (blame the education company that we hire out for that one).

2--Thanks for the agreement. Glad to see I'm not alone on that one.

Lindsay said...

Discipline was always the hardest thing for me while I was teaching. And it didn't help that most of my students enjoyed going to the principals office.