Since you have asked for the details, I will aim to deliver.
I have only seen Les Miserables on stage once, as a birthday present when I was in college. It was wonderful. We were kind of high up on a balcony and so it was a bit hard to see, but the music was amazing.
My friend C and I were supposed to go to Superman Returns, but when she called on Tuesday asking for a change of plans, I was ready and willing to change them. This is the farewell tour of Les Mis as it returns to Broadway in October and I thought I'd be spontaneous and go. My friend bought us tickets on the bottom level in row S seats 117 and 119. We were right in the center and in the center. The view was perfect.
So, about the show: It was amazing! My seats were wonderful; the cast was wonderful; the music was wonderful! The singing was perfect. There was never too much vibrato (one of my pet peeves), Valjean was able to hit the amazing high notes dead on. Enjolras was hot. The students were amazing. Eponine's voice was spectacular.
I wish I could give more details than that. I was so impressed by so much. The Fox is a beautiful theater and so the show just seemed to shine. I laughed. I cried. I cried some more.
Each time I see/hear/read from Les Miserables, I pick up more emotion and depth from the story. I understand more and see things from different perspectives. It makes me want to read more. I just have to make sure I don't get caught in the melancholy, if I do end up reading for long periods of time.
On a side note: If you enjoy Les Mis and you also enjoy satire, I would highly recommend Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett. It's a great combination of suspense, hilarity, melancholy, and overall good satire. Have fun with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment