Thursday, January 03, 2008

Why I Know I Am a Type A Personality--A.K.A. the Calendar of the Next Two Weeks for Miss A

I've been pretty stressed this break just thinking of what I have to do when I get back to work on Friday. Here's the list of stressors that I been concentrating on during the break. This is the short list, but through my amazing list making talents, I've gotten myself to feel a bit better about each of these. Actually, I think I'm to the point where I might actually be able to welcome the chaos that will ensue come January 7th.

1. New semester--This includes many students that I already have and some that I have yet to meet. Several counselors and administrators have "strategically placed" specific students in my classroom. Which concerns me just a bit once all of these specific students meet. I have to print out all new rolls, all new unit papers, and explain to my lovely students why they need to pick up the pace. I have at least the first part of the different units that I'm teaching planned out. My next two books are Lord of the Flies and The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet so even though they're both a bit difficult, I've also taught both of them.

2. Debate Tournament--This is the first weekend that we get back. There are certain things that we can plan . . . and then there are others that we can't. This is my first attempt at this end of running a tournament. When I helped run it in high school I had nothing to do with tabbing (keeping score), figuring out the rankings, and scheduling rooms. All of the things that I specialized in--drawing diagrams of rooms, helping with the hospitality room, and giving directions--are handled by the students. This next week should be interesting. Wish me luck.

3. Grad School--This is one of the things that REALLY makes me nervous right now. I'm taking a class that fills one of the little check boxes, but it's most definitely not the intro to the English grad school class. It's on Jewish mythology and sounds absolutely fascinating (to someone who happens to be an English major). Here I feel like I've been going into unknown territory. I'd never been there before as of Monday. I've only had contact with two people from there (one of whom was rather . . . rude) and I'm still trying to figure out how this whole system works. My only experience with the university system has been BYU undergrad. There I had freshman academy, Y weekend, and a sister already living in Provo (as well as a twin living with me) to help me figure it out. Here I had a letter telling me to check out the web site. So, on the whole I felt very isolated. I recently started asking people from work and church that had been involved with the program and they helped me feel a bit better. Also, with a bit of help from my lovely visiting teacher--who also got her grad degree from this university--I went up early and now am officially parking-worthy and student-i.d.-armed. And I actually have been up there now.

4. Mentoring--I can't remember if I've mentioned this or not, but I'm officially a mentor to a brand-spanking-new teacher. I won't be blogging about her (since a mentor/mentee relationship is sacred and confidential), but I may end up blogging about how I feel about being a mentor. As in--what were they thinking? I'm excited and honored to have been asked, but nervous. It's hard enough starting as a new teacher, nevermind starting new at semester. So, I'm there to help her. I just want to be good enough to do so. Her first day of taking over the class is Monday.

So, this is the next two weeks of January for me. If you don't see me blogging a bunch, this is why. Don't give up on me, though; I'll be back.

*Graphic from http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Renwick-Spenser/pages/Calendar-01-January/1945x1522-q75.html

2 comments:

N.F. said...

Sounds so exciting to hear of all the things you've got going on...esp. the new teacher stuff, because I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts/suggestions/opinions on new teacher stuff that I should and should NOT be doing!

;)

ambrosia ananas said...

Okay, the class you're taking sounds *so* interesting. I'm jealous. : )

Good luck with all that.