Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Chatting it up at the Department of Revenue

Somehow, people like to tell me things. I don't asked to be told things. It's not like I mind or anything, but something about me just says, "Talk to me!" The only problem is, that I am somewhat shy.* I have no idea what to say to people after they spill the beans, but I must say that I have mastered the Smile and Nod technique.

For instance, today is the day before Thanksgiving. Most people are baking or at least cleaning. I, on the other hand, was driving. I had to take care of my personal property tax as the local Dept. of Revenue seems to have dropped the ball at sending me a bill, I personally and from the deepest bottom of my charitable heart, decided to still get the bill from the actual office. Not the office ten minutes away. No, that would be too easy. I had to go to the office a half hour away. The one in the city. After getting lost (soo not my fault--Argitty-Arg mapquest) and waiting in line, I managed to get a very nice lady who happened to have a very nice family. I know this, because she told me all about them, all of them. She has twins who may or may not be identical (I got to see pictures) and two other children. As wonderful as it was to have a nice chat with the nice lady, what I was really thinking was, "Clone 2 is at home. I haven't seen her in two months. I really hope I can find the way home. How much time do I have left on my parking meter? I wonder if I'll run into traffic on the way home, etc." After the lovely chat was over, the lady finished apologizing for the fact that the girl who handled my tax waiver messed up completely and totally, printed me out an actual personal property tax bill for my car, and sent me on my way.

I even managed to not get lost on the way home.






*Note the use of the use of the word "somewhat" here would actually mean, extremely and painfully.

No comments: