Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Ahhh, the Joy of Library Day


Every other Wednesday, I get to live the joy that is Library Day. This is the shining jewel in my crown. This is the day I look forward to with hope and gladness in my heart.

This is how the day is broken down. The kids meet me in the library. I give them a short assignment. They check out books. I help them pick out the best ones. They read. I feel like a mini-librarian. I am oh so very into reading and it is most enjoyable to share it with others. Kids will go from stack to stack looking for books, pulling them out to look at their covers, reading their summaries. I love to introduce them to some of my old friends.

The only down side is that our most books in our library are probably at least 10 to 15 years old (and some are older than I am). While my ego likes to think that I have an extensive knowledge of books, that is not exactly true. I have a rather reasonable to perhaps good knowledge of books that have been popular in the past 5-6 years and books that I read when I was growing up (generally science-fiction/fantasy or depressing books that my teachers forced me to read). I have about 150 students all trying to find books and yet I only know about 750-1000 books in the library with my reasonable knowledge. That means that, if kids don't like the books I know, then we begin running into problems.

Most of them are willing to at least try. They are very good-natured and very kind to their delusional literature teacher who thinks that all children should love to read. But really, I digress. I shall not let pessimism near me. Back to the topic!

Here are the lovely things about library day:
1.) Reading, reading, reading!
2.) Silent children who are reading
3.) Book exploration
4.) Exercise while I circulate the stacks and the tables where the students sit
5.) Silent reading children
6.) The excitement of finding the right book, for the right child, at the right time
7.) Hearing kids recommend their favorite books to their friends
8.) Hearing a kid's excitement when they can actually locate a book on their own
9.) Finding new books that I haven't read, but will soon have to
10.) Silent children who are engrossed in their reading.

No comments: