Here's a neurotic moments from yesterday. I have quite a few, but here is just one small example.
I was on my lovely ellipse machine at the gym. We are in the process of becoming friends, but I'm still closest to my amazing and wonderful treadmill. Anyway, I'm on the ellipse machine and this very nice looking guy comes and starts working out on the machine next to me. I take this as a complement, because he had two options of machines, and he chose the one closer to me. Not bad.
He starts up on his workout pretty quickly. He just starts pedaling and going about his business. Of course I don't want to appear like I'm looking at his display, but of course I am. What I see, though, is that it's still flashing, waiting for him to enter in a time, program, weight, or just hit enter to quick start. Only, he doesn't. I check back in another minute or two. Nothing. Nope. He's just pedaling away. I start to debate with myself and here is how it goes
Neurotic Miss A: Wow, maybe I should tell him to press the start button. . . .
Socially Acceptable Miss A: Umm, no Miss A, you really can't just do that.
N. Miss A: But, maybe he doesn't know that he's supposed to. It's just flashing there. I really, really want to tell him.
S. A. Miss A: Nope, you just have to keep working out, even if it drives you crazy. If you tell him that he should hit start, he'll know that you're looking at his display. You just can't do that.
N. Miss A: You know he's just going to keep going like that, don't you?
S. A. Miss A: Yep. Just let it go.
No it's not a huge conundrum, so I'll stop here. Question, though, which voice do you think won?
3 comments:
Funny. Sounds like something I would do! Also, are you who I think you are, that being one of my former roommates? Or am I insane? Just checking!
I'm guessing Miss Neurosis won.
amyjane: Yep, I am who you think I am. You are most definitely not insane.
squirrel boy: Believe it or not, I kept myself socially acceptable. Wahoo! (Sometimes you gotta cheer the small victories.)
Post a Comment