Wednesday, February 08, 2006

The Joy of . . . Joy

I've noticed a sad trend among some of my kids. They're not happy. Not that people have to be happy all of the time, but I think that there are times to just revel in the joy of living.

For instance, today, it was beautiful. It was snowing, the trees were covered in frost and snow, and the sky was a beautiful white. It reminded me of the poem Washed in Silver. A perfect winter wonderland. I had bus duty, which I wasn't thrilled about, but overall, it was just such a perfect moment to be outside. From my perch I could see the tree-covered hill behind the school, the woods, the snow-encrusted playground. As the students started walking past every single one seemed to have a complaint.

"I'm tired."

"It's cold."

"I don't want to be here."

All of that may be true, but someday, it would be nice to help the students to really see the joy that is possible in life. The little perfect moments that could stretch out forever, where the world stops still and you can just feel the peace and calm. If they can feel those moments, then I will feel like I have truly made a difference.

1 comment:

ambrosia ananas said...

I keep loooking at this post and thinking it's so true.

I'm afraid I have an unfortunate tendency, myself, to get caught up in the minor annoyances of the moment (or if they're lacking, to create them) and focus on the fact that the moment isn't perfect instead of enjoying all the things that are great about it.

So. Thanks for your post.