Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Spring Fever

Unlike Cabin Fever, which can at least, according to the Muppets, be fun and musical, Spring Fever is never a picnic . . . when you're a teacher.

My lovely and favorite ever 7th graders are turning into 8th graders a little too soon. I saw this at the end of last year too, but this year is harder since our kids really did start out sweeter and kinder. Granted, I know I'm going to teach 9th graders next year, but for some reason there is such a big difference between 8th and 9th graders.

It's funny because each class, school year, and grade has a different feeling to it--it's own character. Part of the fun part is seeing what patterns there are and how the different kids change the entire dynamic. Certain students have such strong personalities that, when moved class periods, they can change the feel of that hour. Entirely. With little to no effort. Each year has a little bit of a different make up on the team. Each grade is just amazingly different. I'm certified from 5th grade to 12th grade. Really, though, that's almost CRAZY. If I stood a 5th grader next to a senior I might be able to make my point better, but you can just imagine. In Utah I was certified for 6th through 12th grade and that was crazy enough for me. I love them all, but they are each their own age and personality.

Here's my take on things:

6th Graders
These lovelies still like their teachers. Who knew! They still want for you to like them and they take a little more work as far as the basics. They are still learning how to play the school game. These are still cute and huggable.

7th Graders
I really do love this age group. They are discovering who they are (or at least who Seventeen Magazine or Self wants for them to be). They're becoming teeny-boppers. My school is a junior high, so the students come in being unsure, uncertain, a little vulnerable. In other words, teachable. It's fun to see them grow and change how they view the world.

8th Graders
These students think that they know it all. After one full year of junior high, they have already become defiant and disillusioned. They are angry, mean, and hormonal. I would not teach them if you paid me.

9th Graders
These students have a lot in common with the 7th graders. They are a bit unsure and uncertain. By this time, though, they are on a little be surer footing of who they are. They are changing how they see the world and they are becoming more and more independent. This is one of my favorite ages. It's just so much fun to see them grow.

10th Graders
This is such an in-between age. They are finally getting the hang of high school and of how they fit in--socially and culturally (as in the school culture). I guess I'll have a lot more to write about them after next year.

11th Graders
These are the almost-seniors. They are making plans about what to do next year and in the years to come. They are ready to be seniors; they're just not yet. These are the princes and princesses of the school. They wish they were seniors; they're just not yet.

12th Graders
These are the kings and queens of the school. They are all that and a bag of chips. They are done with making plans and ready to live them. They wish they were in college; they're just not yet. They have concrete value systems and beliefs. They know who they are and they're ready to change the world.

So, I should probably add the disclaimer that this is just my view. This changes a bit by district and by location. Each district has a different feel. Even each school has a different feel. But, this is the world as I see it.

p.s. Yes, I have used this picture before, but it really is my favorite.

3 comments:

Th. said...

.

I like 11th graders and am liking 9th graders more and more. I don't much care for sophomores though.

Seniors and 7th and 8thers I no longer have opinions on, my brain being mush.

AmyJane said...

Psshh. I love you a lot but you need to meet MY sixth graders. They are most definately NOT cute adn huggable. Course, I have a bit of a nasty group and they never really bonded with me this year, on account of the unforeseeably long maternity leave. SO. It could be more about me than them. I guess. Mostly it's just funny that you bemoan then leaving their 7th grade selves behind just as we are weeping that they are starting to act so very much like seventh graders!

Snow Whiteley said...

Are these like the devil children from years long past? Have they tried to knock another person off of a ladder?