Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Surrounded by Greatness

I have the best kids ever this year. Not even just ever, but ev-ah. As in ever with attitude.

My kids this year are just amazing. They're not necessarily brilliant or especially driven, or even terribly responsible, but they are amazing people. They are kind and respectful and sweet. Not normal 7th graders at all. I loved my students from last year, but truly, I think that overall, this has been my favorite year so far. If I could,I would take my kids with me next year. It has been just so wonderful to see them grow and learn.

Today, I had the chance to go downtown to see one of my kids get an award. I got to drive down with the 7th grade administrator. An hour drive. But it was so worth it. It was amazing the dignataries that they had there. Two police chiefs, the mayor, the police board, news anchors from a local station. Apparently, this is a way big deal. I learned that there are generally 100-200 nominations for kids each month, and only ten are chosen to spotlight. The stories of these children were just amazing.

My student helped put out a fire on a neighbor's property. Despite being covered from head to toe in black soot, she kept the buckets of water coming even after the fire fighters arrived until they were sure the fire was under control.

One girl saved her grandmother's life by giving her the heimlich maneauver after she choked on her breakfast.

One boy, while watching TV, noticed that his aunt hadn't come in to check on him for awhile. He went in to check on her to find that she was having a seizure. He called 911 and did what he could for her. The reason he was living with this aunts in the first place was because his parents were killed in a car accident.

Another boy helped his great-grandmother after she had fallen while trying to get up after gardening.

Another boy (one from my school district) helped raise money for other kids with cancer even while he has cancer himself.

The stories go on and on.

It's really amazing to me what these kids were able to do. I am just so proud to have been able to witness these kids and these stories.



















P.S. Here's a pic of me with Ronald McDonald at the ceremony--yet another dignitary who arrived. The anonymous fellow is my administrator.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I know that I don't know you, but I stumbled across your blog one day and read it every now and again, even though I've never commented. But I had to on this one. What amazing kids! This post made me cry a few Happy Tears. It's good to be reminded every once in a while that we really are surrounded by greatness and that it really isn't as hard to find as we sometimes think it is. :)

Snow Whiteley said...

Lindsay, I wouldn't worry about whether or not we know each other. All are welcome!

Now that I think about it, though, we might actually know each other somehow. I went through the BYU English Teaching program (student taught at Oak Canyon Jr. High and graduated June of 2004) and it looks like you may have been there around the same time. Hmmmm . . . just thinking we may actually have met without realizing it.

Lindsay said...

Yeah, we might know each other...that would be pretty cool. :) I actually student taught at Orem Jr. High in the fall of 2004 and graduated in December 2004. My major was history teaching, but English teaching was my minor, so...you never know. Spooky... :)