I'm coming tot he time of year when I consider what I'll do differently next year. I've thought long and hard about it now, but I'm also giving out surveys this year and that somewhat scares me. The students I have as freshman this year are anything if not blunt. I always need to improve my teaching so I always need feedback, but it's sometimes hard to decipher feedback from a fourteen-year-old. Here's what I'm contemplating changing for next year so far:
1. More book choice--I always want to do this, but seem limited by the books that are required that I get to. We always seem to have too much to do and too little time. But, that being said, I actually want them to read the material that we have for them and no matter how interesting I try to make the activities attached to the books, reward/penalize with points, sing a book's praises, it's always a struggle to get kids to do their homework.
2. More time in class spent on reading--Class time is precious, but I want to show them how important that this is to me that they read. If it's important enough for me to give them class time to do it, it's dang important.
3. Quicker/more feedback on assignments--Somehow I never seem to get things graded quickly. I realize that this is of major importance, especially where writing is concerned. Blah.
4. Another room?--Well, I've asked for the room of a teacher that retired. We'll see if I actually get to have it, but it's tiled (no more nasty, mold-infested carpet), it has windows (you mean it snowed today?), it's as close to the size of my current room as I'm going to get (my current room is freakin' huge compared to most others), I wouldn't have to do hallway duty alone since it's actually in the English hallway (rather than isolated over by the computer lab and all of the special ed rooms), and maybe I won't get as sick with my breathing (back to the carpet).
3 comments:
I hope you get your new room.
Me TOOOOO.
love,Mom
Thanks. :)
Post a Comment