Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl: Movie Review

**Spoilers Ahead--Read with Caution**

Last night I got to go with my friend Prism to the movies. She had free tickets to see The Other Boleyn Girl and I was happy to go along. Now, knowing that I am familiar with the history of the lives--and end of--of all six wives of Henry VIII, I knew what to expect with this movie. A very interesting ride up to a very painful death (I would think) for Anne Boleyn at the hands of Henry by way of a swordsman/executioner.

Was it a very interesting ride? Yes. Historically acurate, no, but I won't quibble with that, my interest was kept the entire movie. My favorite character was actually Mary Boleyn, Anne's sister. Although I love Natalie Portman and thought her charming and charismatic in this role, Mary reminded me a bit more of myself--except for the whole thing of having an affair with the King of England bit. I don't know much about Scarlett Johansen, and having seen other photos of her, I don't think she's at her loveliest in this movie, I was intrigued and captivated by her performance.

As for the gentlemen . . . Eric Bana was effective as Henry VIII. Jim Sturgess was wonderful as George Boleyn, the brother to Mary and Anne, but I must say that I've had a soft spot for him after listening to him croon Beatle's songs in Across the Universe. My favorite male performance was done by Thomas Boleyn, the father, played by Mark Rylance. He was so familiar the whole movie, but for the life of me I can't figure out where I know him from. So, wish me luck in figuring it out. He reminds me a bit of Roger Rees, but I don't know how I know the original actor.

So, as far as the plot goes. How did it end? How do you think?

I would recommend it only if you know what you're getting yourself into and if you like that type of movie. I loved the acting. I loved the story. I may watch it again, but I'll most certainly have to be in the mood.

No comments: