According to Jim Fay and I'm sure a lot of other smart people, in order to feel in control, powerful, or just because they're teenagers (not really), sometimes students will try to engage you in a power struggle (read: Battle). It could be over something small, like taking off a hat or getting out their book that day, but the attempt is to get into a verbal argument with you. Now, this is not usually a conscious decision (Wow gee willikers, Bob and I fought this morning, so I think I'm going to fight with Miss A today and maybe that will help me to feel like I have more power and control in this world), however, sometimes kiddos are itching to get you riled up.
Am I affected by this? Yes. Yes I am. This could be in myriad ways--I worry about the kid, I'm having a bad day, I really care about the subject that's going on--but somehow the key is to back off, let them have a bit of space, and talk to you about it when they're thinking more clearly.
One of my kiddos is itching for it today. He's an energetic (squirrely) guy, but has amazing heart and potential. I'm worried for him. I talked to his other main teacher and I'm emailing his administrator, but sometimes it seems like it's hard to balance backing off and maintaining interest and concern.
Wish us luck.
3 comments:
Best wishes. : )
It's funny that we posted about almost the Exact Same Thing today.
Brozie--Ha!
Nemesis--Great minds think alike. Gotta love it.
Post a Comment