So, this week I've been on cloud nine, but I think the honeymoon is pretty much over.
In my sophomore classes yesterday one class had a 50 percent turn in rate on a written homework assignment and the second class had a 20 percent turn in rate. And then they tried to blame it on me. Since I wrote it on the board, put it on my web site, and said it at the beginning and end of class, then no, it's not "my fault". And then came the whole--you never gave me a worksheet problem. I broke down and gave a lecture (loud lecture) on responsibility. What's going to happen next year, and the next, and then in college? I know it's just one worksheet and just one homework assignment, but the problem is that, this year, it's not.
Argggg.
So, thinking on the positive side of things.
Things I'm looking forward to doing next year:
1. Being more inductive in classroom work. I have a tendency to break things down so much that kids do less discovery on their own. There is a way to have firm objectives and still have kids practice more critical thinking.
2. Teaching honors. I've tried so hard to discuss the ideas side of things with my students this year and they just don't seem interested. I've tried polling, persuasive writing, whatever, I just can't seem to get them to care, or, I guess, find out what they care about. Not that honors is guaranteed to fix this next year, but at least I have a clue as to where their motivations lie.
3. Varying writing assignments more. Our school focuses on literary analysis so much that sometimes other genres are left out. I think I'm going to look more into modern genre theory as it relates to writing and focus more on organic writing, a bit less on formulaic. I'm trying balance the crutch and the running shoes.
4. Book choice. I want more of an opportunity to do what my favorite teacher ever did, which was to let us choose what books we do and how we focus on them.
5. More discovery. Goes back to writing and reading and choice, but also how we study it. So often I seem to mold on my thoughts and ideas about the themes of the book and then teach them as if they were true, fact, "the" answer. It's not on purpose, it just has to do with the way I plan. Next year I want for the kids to bring these up and then I can guide, add to, and facilitate more than just pontificate. I don't even lecture a ton, it's just the way I structure my assignments.
So there we go, just another list, but 5 things I want to change for next year. I'm already getting excited. Now I just have to go read 1984.
4 comments:
I'm trying to picture you giving a LOUD lecture, and it's just not materializing in my head... :)
I swear...if I ever get finished with school I want to be a teacher just like you!
Shannon--They don't happen very often, but when they do . . . apparently I have a temper.
N.F.--Kind words. Thanks! I'm sure you'll be way better than I am.
I just happened on your blog, and as a teacher in an alternative school, I can easily identify with your thoughts about your students' apathy. No matter what I choose, they "just can't relate to it," find it "really boring," and ask, "can't you make this fun?" Arrrgh.
Post a Comment